Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Rollercoaster

Today has been one hell of an emotional rollercoaster. This whole pregnancy has, and I'm only 5 weeks!

This morning I went in for my second beta. When I got there, I asked the receptionist for my results of the first. She looked it up and says "Your first one came back a 6." This baffled me. A FREAKING 6? What the heck does that even mean. One of the nurses came over and explained that it was in the "normal range" but a lower number could mean an ectopic pregnancy, and to wait until Monday to see if the numbers doubled.

Needless to say I spent the rest of the day sobbing, cursing, and sleeping away the pain. I was convinced I had already, or was about to lose this baby.

5:30- My phone rings. It's the sweet NP who did my exam on me. She apologized for not being able to speak with me when I was there, things were hectic and she was running around like crazy. She also apologized for the way the nurse had explained things to me. She said she has walked by while she was explaining and saw the sheer look of terror on my face. Turns out...That pesky little 6? That was the result for the qualitative test. That's just to check if I am pregnant. Anything above a 4 is pregnant! She then went on to explain that my ACTUAL beta level was.............

673!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I started bawling right on the phone and asked if that was good. Her exact words? "That's an excellent number and exactly where you should be for being about 5 weeks pregnant! As long as we hit close to 1200 on Monday, we are Golden!"

I sobbed with relief. I was so happy that she had gone out of her way to call me, FROM HER HOME, because she realized how worried I must have been.

She also explained that the more than likely reason we saw nothing at the ultrasound on Wednesday was because for anything, even a gestational sac to show up, your HCG level needs to be at least 1000. So by the time I go for my next appointment (2/23) we should see a little baby and a heartbeat!!

So today has been like a trip to Hershey Park...Only without the yummy chocolate. I'll be so glad when I am out of the first trimester! But I am still pregnant, and my numbers say baby is healthy! Praise God!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Praise the lord. Thats great that she called you to explain things after the nurse screwed everything up. Continuing to pray for you and the baby and the husband.

    ReplyDelete