Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The 50's Housewife Project

Recently, I came across this blog, called "The 50's Housewife Project." It doesn't have NEAR the following that I think it should, so I decided I would start my own little "project".

I've really changed in my way of thinking over the years, and even more-so since meeting J. In my previous relationship (nightmare), I really could take or leave the thought of cooking and cleaning. But then again, my home, was not really *my* home. I had to share it with a she-devil (his mother) who made my life a living hell. She made me never want to clean, or cook anything. Anything I ever did, was never good enough. I'll never forget one time when we first moved into the house we were renting, I couldn't sleep one night and decided to stay up and scrub the kitchen from top to bottom. The microwave was particularly bad so I scrubbed it down until it was sparkling. The next morning she had said not a word to me. So finally I said "Did ya see the kitchen?! I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to scrub it". Her response was "Yeah I saw it. I don't know what you did that for, you know I keep an immaculate kitchen." From that moment on, I vowed to never lift another finger to help this woman again. And I didn't.

Now that I am a SAHM, and have discovered I have a knack for cooking and (sometimes) baking, I really want to hone these skills and become a modern day 50's housewife. It won't be easy. Mackenzie will make it challenging. Even though she is getting older, she is still not sitting up on her own yet, so it's not as if I can just set her in a Pack n Play and let her entertain herself while I get stuff done. She is also in a "mommy mommy mommy, I want mommy and ONLY mommy!" stage and she wants/needs my constant attention and entertainment. On the weekends when I ask J to watch her while I get things done, after the first couple hours he looks at me all frazzled and says "I don't know how you do it all day, everyday!" I laugh at this because sometimes during the week, he'll come home from a long day at work and NOTHING will be done around the house. Laundry will be piled high, dishes will be in the sink, things strewn about the house. And he'll get aggravated and ask me why nothing is done. And it isn't until the weekend, that he is reminded WHY sometimes this happens.

But this project, I guess, is to sort of help me be able to learn to cope with being a homemaker and a mom at the same time. One day at a time. There is a program, called the FlyLady program from FlyLady.net. It's basically a program to help people stay organized, one step at a time. For instance, day 1 is to just shine your sink. This program has a lot of success, but for me I don't know. I am the type of person that if I am going to do something, I want to do it ALL the way. I can't just shine my sink. I want the whole house to shine. I'm impatient like that I guess.

I hear Kenzie doing her high-pitched scream, and Daddy getting annoyed. Mom to the rescue!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment